Monday, July 8, 2013

July 7th, 2013 "Community"

    July 7th was by far the most moving service I have yet to experience in Discovery Church. Not only was the story of our guest speaker, Kent Keegan, but Arizona had just experienced an unexpected tragedy. Our small town of Preskitt tragically lost 19 of our 20 Hot Shot Firefighters to the Yarnell Hill Wildfire. They were all part of our small town family and reached each of hearts in some way or another. I am not going to go on about these brave men in great detail, for I only knew a few of them but I am actually interested in telling my own story of what I have been experiencing these past couple of weeks by just observing.
    This town, my hometown, has made me so proud to be part of it's community. Everywhere I turn there is some recognition of the fallen 19 and a large 'thank you' near by. This community has come together to support the families and friends of our heroes and to pay respects by grieving with them. Our hearts are in pain in yet show strength in numbers to lean on one another. I have seen this by watching one of my own coworkers walk out to the street in the middle of the shift to pay her respects as the firetrucks filed through on Montezuma. This triggered a solemn response from each person in the cafe as we all took to the curb and stood along side her. Strangers comforting one another as overwhelming tears flowed from our eyes and our heads bowed. 
    This town, my hometown, has made me so proud to be called a Preskit-tonian. Even as the funeral procession came through Phoenix, Wickendburg, and worked it's way to Highway 89, I glanced at all the cars lining the streets to welcome our brethren home. There were over 200 Hells Angels and other biker chapters to pay respects. This town and community has drowned my heart with joy and hope that we have a future as a family. That no matter what trials this place is faced with, we will always stay connected and stand tall to help any of those who can't. 
    So I thank you Prescott for being the future. For showing this world we are to not be pushed around for we will triumph. The family will always hold together and lean on one another for support and love. I know this town is facing hard ships but we are there for the families who need it most. We love you and pray for each one of you. God bless.

 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment