Monday, April 15, 2013

April 7, 2013 "What is in Your Brown Bag"

    I have a theory that Pastor Steve has conversations with God that tell him which subjects to preach on each Sunday because we will all have to put what we have learned from his sermon, to the test. Maybe he puts a paper and pencil out on his desk over night and comes back to it in the morning to see a message to preach on.
    Well, I admit the second assumption is a bit far fetched, but Jesus performed imaginable miracles, so who am I to say it couldn't happen? While I am on the subject of miracles, I would like to talk about the miracles God has given each one of us to perform in the form of specific gifts. These gifts probably aren't going to be wrapped with a bow on top but they may be specific talents, interests, or passions He has built into you so you are able to spread His love with them.
    This past Sunday, Pastor Steve really spoke to my heart and uplifted me by saying, that each one of us was built for a purpose and a specific way to fulfill our purpose. Some it may be singing or playing an instrument to lead worship. Some it is simply people -  being around people in our community and joining in projects to better our community. Or with Jesus Himself being a carpenter - some are blessed with tools and building what is said could never be built. These plus many more are God given gifts to spread His love and worship Him. And this past Sunday, Pastor Steve made each one of us take about five minutes to write down what talents or gifts God has spoken to us to do.
    The brown paper bag that was handed to me stayed blank for the first couple minutes until I was really able to pray about what an "average Joe" like myself, had as a gift to serve God. No really, that was the exact question that went through my brain, "I am nothing special God, what gift have you given for me to use?". No sooner had I thought it, my prayer was answered. I took my pen and began to write many gifts and passions that God specifically picked out for me to use. They were things I considered, maybe, hobbies or just some phases that I never grew out of but actually, grew to love and become an importance in my life.
    I have continued praying on these things on how I can be part of something greater than myself and still use my gifts to help others. So I am slowly filling my paper bag with gifts from here, interests there, or passions from every which angle.....but have you really thought or prayed about your gifts? Your talents that God created you with to share among others?

What is in your brown paper bag?


No comments:

Post a Comment